Monday, January 4, 2010

Wasabi Kit Kat わさびキットカット


I've been wondering for quite some time when Nestle would release a Wasabi Kit Kat. I mean when most people think of Japan they think of Sushi and then... Wasabi. So, Nestle, thanks but sheesh you really took your time! (This is actually a regional specialty of Kanto and Shizuoka so it's not available everywhere unfortunately.)

I'm not a big lover of Wasabi, I never eat it with my sushi, and I don't use it on anything else except in a mayo mixture for steak. It's purely out of curiousity that I wanted to try a Wasabi Kit Kat.

The Kit Kat itself is white chocolate but with a light green hue, I guess as close to the real Wasabi colour as is possible. It doesn't really smell like anything but sweet white chocolate.


The texture of the white chocolate is the same as in the sweet potato Kit Kat's, very soft, crumbly and almost like a mousse whip.

Biting into the stick there is the familiar burn on my tongue and at the back of my throat. It seems to be coming from the cream inside the wafers, and I get a cool feeling in my nose like menthol, just like the real thing.

I like this Kit Kat because it's true to the Wasabi experience but also true to the Kit Kat experience. As in, it's got the hot elements that Wasabi has without being too strong, with a sweet kickback from the white chocolate.

I thought this was a winner and lived up to my expectations, if not more. I actually didn't think the Wasabi would be as strong as this, so there you go. I thought Yasu would also like this as he loves Wasabi but he told me he hated it and he thought it was strange. So maybe this one's only for Japan Lovers?

Who knows, but it's definitely worth a try if you come across it!

1 comments:

ebidebby said...

Interesting! I was going to avoid this one, but your review made me want to seek it out!

Post a Comment